Thursday, August 12, 2010

Marriage, Bellies, and Babies

This picture makes me feel awkward.
I have discovered that there are four types of students at BYU: single, married, pregnant married, and married with children. They all have distinct views on life, school, and the other groups. I fall into the second, and happiest group—married. We have all the benefits of cheaper housing (just barely), government grants, sex, and we don’t have a child so we can do whatever we want whenever we want. So when someone gets married, they are banished from the sect of single people and forever become the weird married friend. And every time the single friends do see you all they can think about is the fact that you are married. You get the question, “So… how’s married life?” and you know what they’re really asking: "How's that forbidden fruit?" One of these times I’m just going to call them out on it and say that it’s great, but kind of messy and more work than you’d think.

Married people get along well with married people with children. It quells the baby hunger to play with a baby that isn’t yours. It’s always been my favorite thing to make faces at babies behind peoples’ backs in church. I love the myriad of reactions I get. There’s the happy, trusting baby who smiles and hides in their mom’s shoulder, then there’s the intellectual baby who just stares, unimpressed. I feel like those ones are studying me, saying in their head, “What a blooming fool, does he think I like to be patronized?” And then there’s the horrified baby who thinks I’m going to eat him. That’s when I pretend I’m asleep so the parents don’t turn around and see that I am the reason their baby hates church.

Pregnant married people are much stranger than married with children people. I don’t think they realize that people who aren’t familiar with the female gestation period have no idea what “33 weeks along” really means. I know that it takes about 9 months for a human to make a baby, and 2 years if you are an elephant, but I don’t want to divide the weeks by 4. When my wife gets pregnant, I am sure I will understand the nuances of the different stages and in what week certain junk happens, but right now, I have no idea. We don’t measure things in tiny quantities in other facets of life, why in pregnancy? When people ask me how much longer I will be in school, I say a little less than 2 years, not 98 weeks, or a little under 60 million seconds.

Well since this is my first post. I will make it interactive. You should leave a comment about your favorite interaction with somebody who belongs to a different one of these groups that was really awkward or foreign to you. My buddy Trevor came over to give me something one morning and while he was there Diana came out of the bedroom and said hi to us. Trevor and I have known each other forever, but I think it was hammered home that morning that I was married now, because he looked extremely uncomfortable. We just laughed about it. Well I will try to post something once every 168 hours, so be prepared for some awesomeness.

5 comments:

  1. Haha! I totally understand. Jon and I since we are on the married with child side, we feel certain amounts of awkward with any of those other groups. Our problem is that we feel as if we have forgotten how to interact with people. If they are single, neither of us feel like anyone has anything significant to say, if they are married all they ask about is Ileyana then we feel like that's all is allowed to be discussed, then pregnant couples...well...talk about pregnancy. So just so you feel better, I think everyone gets in that, "How in heavens name do I interact with anyone anymore?" phase.

    Oh, and PS. I have many comments I would love to say about the whole yes I can say sex on my blog thing...but I felt they were rather inappropriate. Maybe that can be discussed at a later date :) Great blog.

    ReplyDelete
  2. Ok, so Emily and I were out with a bunch of our single friends (I have to disagree on the whole singles vs married thing because we hang out with singles all the time and are often told we are NOT the 'weird' married couple, in fact, we seem to be the 'cool' married people, I digress...).

    After whatever activity we'd just participated in, we went out to one of those frozen yogurt places that let you add all the awesome toppings you want. Well, my creation was delicious (in it's own right) and I made that known. After I commented to the amazingness of my cold treat, one of our good single friends (a female) asked me which was better, sex or the yogurt. Since there were other singles around, whom I did not know even half as well as I knew this girl, I censored myself from saying the first thing that entered into my brain. Instead I stalled and searched for something more appropriate to say. Sensing such, her, those at our table and others in proximity bothered me to say the original thought, so I did. Referring to the yogurt, "It certainly smells a lot better." (Than sex of course)

    At this point, several people (the less known type) got quite embarrassed, but of course I thrive off of awkwardness so I just found the situation even more humorous. That is one of many such instances.

    ReplyDelete
  3. Oh, and I was just informed that Emily feels awkward with the singles and I am (apparently) the social gate keeper in the relationship and thus feel far less awkwardness.

    ReplyDelete
  4. My favorite part is your tidbit about sex being messy and hard work. I have tears in my eyes from laughing so hard!

    I agree with everything you said, you definitely cross an imminent threshold when you get married. My problem is that we don't fit into any of these categories. Maybe we are just that awesome, or because we are savoring our youth and not trying to act older than we actually are- I don't know. I can't tell you how much I hate married with children people though. Once that baby pops out, that's all they are going to talk about for the rest of their lives. Which, I guess is good, unless you are choosing to not have kids right off the bat of the starting whistle. I feel pressured a lot by close friends and family to put my goals and dreams on hold to start having kids- and it makes it hard to keep those relationships a float when all you want to do is punch them in the teeth.

    ReplyDelete
  5. i just found your blog from emily's and i think it's a riot. i hope you don't mind me commenting :] i've found it is harder to hang out with single people because they get weird about it. i'm certainly not weird about it and still love all my single friends, but maybe they are intimidated of my husband...who knows? haha

    ReplyDelete