Tuesday, November 12, 2013

Patio Project

Sorry I haven't posted in forever, but I finally have something worth posting.  When we moved into our house, the yard was a little lacking.  They had just torn up the water main so there was a huge pile of dirt and rocks in the front, I fixed that. A wind storm had just come in and knocked over two trees, I fixed that.  There was a giant dead tree trunk in the back, I fixed that.  And don't forget about the abandoned chicken coop equipped with an overgrown sandbox.  I fixed that too.  Then I put in a garden, planted some stuff, tried to get my grass looking nice, all at different levels of success.  My latest project though was a bit more ambitious.  I had this space of nothingness to work with.

This was even after I cleaned it up a bit

Different angle
So I had an eye sore on my hands.  I didn't like the chain link fence or the terrible rock garden I had in the corner of the house.  I also didn't have a decent place to put my grill that my brother had bought me as a house warming gift.  That little nook-type corner of the house was essentially unusable.  The houses on our street were all built in the late '40s and so all of them had this same terrible L design with an unfinished corner.  Many of the houses have blown out the two walls and finished the corner, but I didn't have the skills or the money to tackle that project.  So I decided to build a patio and a pergola.

The first question I got when I explained my idea was this: what is a pergola?  Understandable, but once you see one you know exactly what it is, you just may not have known that those wooden structures have a name.
Generic pergola
When you search Google images, this is the first picture that comes up for "pergola".  It is a simple outdoor wood covering.  It can over a deck, a patio, or anything else really.  It gives a good deal of shade and a great place to have a meal outside.  And I wanted it!

So I got it.

And here it is.



Finished project

Notice the fancy solar lights
 This project was a beast, but I am very happy with the result.  I'm excited for next summer when we will get to really use it.  So what do you think?  Did I improve the space, or would you have preferred an overgrown rock garden?




4 comments:

  1. What a beast. The "fancy solar lights" also give it a nice flair. :)

    ReplyDelete
  2. Awesome job! Now that you are so experienced, feel free to add one to our house!

    ReplyDelete
  3. Looks awesome! What else are you planning on doing?

    ReplyDelete
  4. Well I am working on some cabinets and a laundry chute right now. And then we need to make the decision of either redoing the kitchen and living in the house another 5-10 years or moving closer to my work. Luckily the outside work for next year is going to be planting flowers and fixing a few dead spots in the grass. I actually get to enjoy my work next year rather than add to it.

    ReplyDelete